Skip links

Can I Relocate With My Child?

If you wish to relocate with your child, it is important to understand the laws that govern child custody and relocation in California. There are a number of factors that the court will consider when determining whether or not it is in the child’s best interests to relocate to another state, and each case is unique. Continue reading to learn key things that you need to know if you want to relocate with your child out of California.

Providing Advanced Notice and Information

In California, the party who wishes to relocate the child must give advance notice to the other parent of their plans. The relocating parent must then provide specific information about the move, including:

  • The new address and phone number.
  • The reason for the move.
  • A proposed parenting schedule that accommodates the child’s best interests.

When the Other Parent Objects

If the child’s other parent objects to the relocation, they can file a motion with the court. A judge will then determine whether or not to allow the relocation. In making this determination, the court will consider several factors, including:

  • The child’s age and developmental needs.
  • The strength of each parent’s relationship with the child.
  • Each parent’s ability to care for the child.
  • The child’s current living situation.
  • The effect of the move on the child’s schooling and extracurricular activities.
  • The reason for the relocation.

Work with a Relocation Attorney

If life’s circumstances require relocating out of California with your child, it is important to speak with an experienced family law attorney. An attorney can help you understand your rights and options under California law. They can also help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your interests are protected.

At Sullivan Law & Associates, we always do what’s right for our clients, and we will work to protect your rights and help you achieve a solution that meets your needs and the needs of your child. Learn more about how we can help or schedule a consultation by calling (949) 590-8100 or by visiting our website.